Purpose: This investigation is designed to focus on the guiding principles of the C3 Framework to determine if the instructional pedagogy of the C3 Framework represents an instructional shift in classroom practice. Other investigations will provide a more in-depth look at the Four Dimensions and provide ample time for viewers to study and apply the work in classrooms.
- Gain an understanding of the guiding principles of the C3 Framework
- Identify the implications for classroom instruction
- Understand how the instructional pedagogy of the C3 Framework may represent an instructional shift in teaching in your practice.
(1) Watch the What are the Instructional Shifts of the C3 Framework for Social Studies Teachers? Think about how the instructional pedagogy of the C3 Framework may represent an instructional shift in your teaching practice.
(2) Reading. Now that you have seen the webinar that provided an overview of the guiding principles of the C3 Framework, download "Implementing the C3 Framework: Monitoring the Instructional Shifts" article in Social Education, September 2014, pages 165-169 and let's spend some time reading it to deepen our understanding of the guiding principles.
(3) Planning for Action -- Define powerful first steps in implementing the C3 Framework by downloading “Implementing the C3 Framework: Monitoring the Instructional Shifts” Social Education and using Handout 1 "Reflecting on Actions to Implement the C3 Framework" to reflect and discuss with your group the questions and sequence found in the handout.
- In your group's space on the Exchange post a blog that summarizes your team's responses to these questions. Tag this post with "Planning for Action"
(4) Measuring Progress -- Use Handout 2 “Measuring Progress in Implementing the C3 Framework” also found in “Implementing the C3 Framework: Monitoring the Instructional Shifts” Social Education. Engage your group in discussing the questions in the handout to gain a clearer picture of what will be observable in your school and/or district when the Framework would be well implemented.
- In your group's space on the Exchange post a blog that summarizes your team's responses to these questions. Tag this post with "Measuring Progress."
Reflect: Handout #3
Let’s think about our own practices – Download Handout 3 "Does the C3 Framework Represent an Instructional Shift in My Practice?” Discuss these questions with your group and post the common themes regarding how you currently engage in supporting the guiding principles and the shifts that you can envision implementing. Tag this post with "Shifts in Our Practice."
To conclude this investigation, let’s spend some time thinking about the “big picture” and potential next steps if we want to support implementation of the C3 Framework schoolwide. Download Discussion Guide: Shifts in the C3 Framework, and considering what you've learned about instructional shifts, facilitate a conversation around the questions listed there using the What? So What? Now What?
- In your group's space on the Exchange, post a blog that summarizes your team's discussion on the instructional shifts in the C3 Framework, especially actions your team would like to take towards implementing the C3 Framework and ways in which you would plan to measure your progress. Tag this post with "Big Picture C3 Implementation"
C3 Framework - www.socialstudies.org/c3
“Implementing the C3 Framework: Monitoring the Instructional Shifts,” NCSS Social Education, September 2014, pages 165-169.
|Instructional Shifts article, handout 1, and handout 2 (pdf)||158.46 KB|
|Create Handout 3 (docx)||62.01 KB|
|Connect Discussion Guide (doc)||28.5 KB|