The Exemplary Research Award recognizes scholarship with the potential to significantly impact and/or transform social studies education research and practice.
NCSS is closely monitoring the coronavirus pandemic and advisories issued by the District of Columbia pertaining to large event gatherings. Although the situation continues to change daily, NCSS remains committed to the well-being, health, and safety of our Annual Conference attendees. We are presently in close contact with our partners at Destination DC and the Walter E. Washington Convention Center. Please check back on this page for updates on the opening date for award submittals.
The committee will consider any research that has been published within the last year. This research can be published in book or journal article format. If the nominated piece is a journal article, it should be published in a nationally or internationally ranked journal that can be found at:
Reviewers should be provided with an original document, as well as an English translation of the article if a work is published in a different language. It is at the discretion of the chair of the exemplary research committee to determine if the research meets these criteria before forwarding the research on to the committee to review. In order to be considered the application must be completed by the due date and meet the "criteria" and "nomination requirements" listed below.
Note: If there are an insufficient number of applicants for the award in a given year, the applications received will be held over for consideration next year. Any incomplete nomination, including failure to provide the sufficient number of review materials, may be disqualified.
- Published research study (articles, chapters, monographs, or books) bearing May 1, 2019 through April 30, 2020 publication dates;
- Must be empirical, theoretical, or philosophical in nature;
- Must have social education as its central focus;
- Employs rigorous research standards;
- Outstanding in the areas of research conception, model, design, procedure, and analysis;
- Advances conception of social education and knowledge of teaching and learning in the domain; and
- Attends to social, political, and ethical concerns.
- No self nominations;
- Letter of nomination/ rationale for nomination( Cover letter);
- Nominee’s Curriculum Vitae or professional resume;
- Complete manuscript for review. Nominated study if not provided via url. Please note: non-electronic research nominations will need to be mailed directly to each member of the selection committee and NCSS by the nominator. Four copies needed. For mailing addresses, please contact email@example.com.
Nomination materials that are incomplete or that do not meet the established criteria will not be considered.
You will have five days to access and update your form after your initial submission.