The Larry Metcalf Exemplary Dissertation Award recognizes outstanding research completed in pursuit of the doctoral degree. Award recipients receive: commemorative gift; an opportunity to present a session at the NCSS Annual Conference on their research.
Application/Nomination Deadline Extended: May 31, 2017
note: If there are an insufficient number of applicants for the award in a given year, the applications received will be held over for consideration next year.
- Date Defended and research completed in pursuit of the doctoral degree between May 1, 2016 and April 30, 2017
- Significant contribution to research in social education;
- Evident connection to social education; and
- Outstanding in the areas of problem statement, analysis of related literature, methods and procedures, analysis of data, and discussion of results.
Complete the online application and upload the following documents within the application. Max. file size to be uploaded for each non-text box item is 1MB. File types accepted are: pdf, doc, docx.
- No self nominations;
- Letter of nomination/rationale for nomination.
- Curricum vita or professional resume (prepared by the nominee);
A summary of ten to fifteen one-sided double-spaced pages that includes:
- the research problem (including how the research fits into research in the field);
- analysis of related literature;
- description and rationale for the research design and procedures;
- analysis of data;
- findings of the study (including a brief discussion of the significance of the research for social education; and
- references/citations should be included but do not count toward the ten to fifteen pages.
Publicity Outreach Please provide the name, contact name, title, and e-mail for:
- Major local/community newspaper (up to 2)
- Alma Mater Alumni Office contact information (up to 2)
Information Release Statement (on cover page)
- Nomination materials must be a pdf, doc, or docx. The maximum size for each upload is 1MB.
- If you experience difficulties, please contact Victoria Nayiga at Victoria@ncss.org to get the mailing addresses of the review committee so that you can ship them the dissertation.
Nomination materials that are incomplete or that do not meet the established criteria will not be considered.
You will have five days to access and update your form after your initial submission.
All Subcommittee Selection Decisions Are Final!