- About NCSS
- Conferences & Professional Learning
- NCSS Annual Conference
- Webinars and Workshops
- Live Learning Center
- Powerful & Authentic Social Studies
- State and Local Conferences
- Current Publications
- Ordering a Publication
- Submit an Article
- Publications Archive
- Faculty Resources
- Member-Only Resources
- NCSS Books and Bulletins
- Get Involved
- Rho Kappa
Performance-Based Assessment Clearinghouse
This NCSS Social Studies Performance-Based Assessment Clearinghouse has been created to provide
- examples of social studies performance-based assessment measures conducted at local and state levels
- research findings that support the use of performance-based assessment to inform instruction, and
- existing educational policies that can inform advocacy efforts for the inclusion of social studies performance-based assessment at the local, state and national level.
NCSS does not recommend or endorse any particular compendium of assessment items; the Clearinghouse is merely a place where social studies educators can go to explore options that exist. Before selecting any assessment measure, educators are advised to carefully critique, evaluate, and select the best measure to meet the objectives of their educational program and the learning needs of their students.
Educators need to carefully budget for the reliable scoring and reporting of the results (as well as for the design and administration). The Criteria Worksheet for Selecting Assessment Measures offers a list of criteria for educators to consider when selecting assessment measures for their students.