NCATE Social Studies Program Review
Instutions seeking NCSS approval of their social studies teacher education programs must apply for NCATE accreditation according to NCATE guidelines.
Following are resources to assist in preparing a social studies program report for approval.
- Program Standards for the Initial Preparation of Social Studies Teachers [pdf]
- NCATE Social Studies Program Report Forms
- How To Prepare an NCSS Program Report[pdf]
- Rubric for NCATE Assessments [pdf]
- NCSS Standards Decision Rules [pdf]
- Example student teacher performance evaluations for thematic standards [pdf]
- Example student teacher performance evaluations for history [pdf]
- Instructions for Submitting Program Reports to NCATE
For additional assistance, please contact
Dr. Leah Engelhardt
NCSS provides many levels of help and support to institutions and it is willing to respond to all institutional requests. Responses to inquiries that require no more than one hour of consultant time are provided free. More in depth consulting can be arranged upon request for a fee. (The fee is necessary because NCSS receives no funding from the charges that NCATE assesses institutions for participating in an accreditation review or from states that conduct program reviews that use the NCSS standards. The consultants are volunteers.)