1. Exhibit criteriaExhibiting firms will be limited to those providing services, products, or publications that meet the professional and practical needs of social studies educators. NCSS reserves the right to restrict exhibits of objectionable taste. This reservation includes persons, things, conduct, printed matter or anything of a character which the management determines offensive to the NCSS membership. In the event of such restriction or violation, NCSS may evict the exhibit and will not be liable for any refunds of rentals or other exhibit expense.
2. Booth assignmentsAssignment of space is dependent on a number of criteria, including the order in which contracts are received, product type, and number of requested booths. If none of an exhibitors choices is available, space that is most similar to that exhibitors choice in location, price, and competitive situation will be assigned. Applications will not be processed without the required deposit. Applications by telephone will not be accepted. No exhibitor will be permitted to erect a display until space rental is paid in full. NCSS reserves the right to alter exhibitors assigned location at any time at its sole discretion in the best interest of the exhibit.
3. Contract for spaceThis application for exhibit space and a minimum deposit of 50% of the cost of total space together constitute a contract for the right to use the space. The balance is due upon notice of assignment and no later than June 27, 2008. Full payment is required for space applied for after September 5, 2008. Any space not occupied by 5:00 p.m. Thursday, November 13, 2008, will be forfeited by the contracting exhibitor and such space may be sold, reassigned, or used by NCSS without refund of rental fee, unless prior arrangements for delayed occupancy have been made with NCSS.
4. Cancellations/refundsAll notifications of cancellation must be made to NCSS in writing. For cancellations received prior to September 5, 2008, the booth deposit will be refunded, less a $100 service fee per booth. No refunds will be given on booth space canceled after September 5, 2008. Upon cancellations exhibitor loses all rights to space. NCSS reserves the right to reassign that space to another exhibitor.
5. Exhibit set-up dateExhibitors shall set up their exhibits on Thursday, November 13, 2008, from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. It is the duty and responsibility of each exhibitor to install their exhibit before the opening of the exhibition and to dismantle the exhibit immediately after the close of the exhibition.
6. Exhibit dismantle dateExhibitors shall dismantle their exhibit after 5:00 p.m. Saturday, November 15, 2008. Exhibits may not be dismantled or removed before 5:00 p.m. Saturday, November 15, 2008 and no later than 1:00 p.m. on Sunday, November 16, 2008. Failure to observe this rule will jeopardize the exhibitors space assignment and the right to exhibit at future NCSS exhibitions.
7. Staffing of boothExhibitors must be open and staffed for business during hours when Exhibit Facility is open to attendees.
8. Arrangement of exhibits The standard equipment provided the exhibitor by NCSS will consist of an eight-foot cloth back wall and two three-foot side dividers. Displays may not be higher than eight feet in the back and four feet along the dividers and aisles. Displays may not exceed more than two feet from the back wall. Display fixtures over four feet high must be confined to within five feet of the aisle line so as not to interfere with the view of adjacent exhibits. No construction or built-up exhibit shall exceed the overall height of the back wall unless approved by NCSS.
9. Shipping and storageThe George R. Brown Convention Center will not accept direct shipment of any kind. All shipments of displays and product materials must be directed to the official drayage company. Shipping instructions will be included in the Exhibitor Service information available at www.myfreemanonline.com in the late summer.
10. Personnel assistanceAll work involved with setting up and dismantling exhibits must be performed by authorized personnel. Instructions for ordering labor will be included in the Exhibitor Service information available at www.myfreemanonline.com in the late summer.
11. Special regulations(a) Reassignment or subletting of all or any part of booth space is prohibited. (b) Solicitation and distribution of printed advertising must be confined to booth space only. Aisles must be kept clear at all times. (c) Operation of any objectionable sound devices will not be allowed. (d) Nothing shall be posted on, or tacked, nailed, taped, screwed, or otherwise attached to columns, walls, floors, or other parts of the building or furniture. (e) Distribution of helium-filled balloons or adhesive-backed stickers or decals is prohibited. (f) Food and beverage for distribution must be supplied and prepared by the designated catering company.
12. Sound restrictionsSound-producing or amplifying devices that project sound must be tuned so as not to exceed 85dbs. NCSS reserves the right to determine at what point sound constitutes interference with other Exhibitors. Public address announcements are prohibited.
13. LiabilityExhibitor agrees to surrender the space occupied by it in the same condition as it existed at the start of occupation, absent normal wear and tear. Exhibitor assumes entire responsibility and hereby agrees to protect, indemnify and hold National Council for the Social Studies at the George R. Brown Convention Center and their agents and employees (hereinafter collectively called Indemnities) forever harmless for any liability, claims or loss, including damages or charges imposed for violations of any law or ordinance, whether occasioned by the negligence of the Exhibitor, those holding under the Exhibitor or by the negligence, but not the sole negligence, of NCSS. Further, the Exhibitor shall, at all times, protect, indemnify, save, and hold harmless the Indemnities against and from any and all losses, cost, damages, liability, or expenses (including attorneys fees) arising from or out of or by reason of accident or bodily injury or other occurrences to any person or persons, including the Exhibitor, its agents, employees, or business invitees, which arise from or out of or by reason of said Exhibitors installation, removal, maintenance, occupancy, and use of the exhibition premises, the Convention Center or any part thereof. Exhibitor shall be fully responsible to pay for all damages to property owned by the George R. Brown Convention Center, its owners, or manager, which results from any act of omission of the Exhibitor. In addition, Exhibitor acknowledges that neither the George R. Brown Convention Center nor any of the other Indemnities maintain insurance covering such losses by Exhibitor. Exhibitor hereby waives all claims that arise or may arise in its favor against any or all of the indemnities for all loss or damage covered by Exhibitors valid and collectible insurance, regardless of whether such insurance is actually collected.
14. Nonflammable materialAll materials including muslin, velvet, silkeen, or other cloth drape or banner used in the exhibit hall must be nonflammable or conform to the fire regulations of the city of Houston, TX. Materials not conforming to such regulations will be removed immediately at the exhibitors expense. The exhibitor agrees to accept full responsibility for compliance with city regulations in the provision and maintenance of adequate safety devices and conditions for the operation of machinery and equipment under city codes. Fire hose cabinets and extinguishers must be left accessible and in full view at all times.
15. Circulation and solicitationDistributing of marketing materials and souvenirs must be restricted to the Exhibitors booth. Canvassing or distribution of marketing materials or souvenirs in any location other than the Exhibitors booth is prohibited.
16. UnionsExhibitor shall abide by all agreements made by, between and among NCSS, the George R. Brown Convention Center and any unions or other labor groups having jurisdiction at the Exhibit. All work involved with setting up and authorized personnel must perform dismantling exhibits.
17. Regulations and contractAll of the above rules and regulations are construed as part of all space contracts along with the information in Exhibitor Prospectus. NCSS reserves the right to interpret them and make final decisions on all points not covered by the aforementioned rules and regulations.
18. InsuranceNCSS shall not be liable for loss or damage of any article of equipment or property of exhibitor which exhibitor may suffer during installation or removal or during the exhibit itself due to robbery, fire, accident, or any other destructive cause. Insurance, if desired, must be placed by the exhibitor.
19. SalesExhibitors are permitted to make direct sales on the exhibit floor. Obtaining the appropriate licensing or permits as required by law, collecting and remitting sales taxes and any other legal business requirements are solely the responsibility of the Exhibitor.
20. CarpetNCSS requires the Exhibitor to cover the entire floor of their booth with carpet or another NCSS-approved floor covering. Carpeting is available for rental through Freeman or Exhibitors may bring their own floor covering. Any booth not carpeted by 5:00 pm on Thursday, November 13, 2008, will be done by Freeman at the Exhibitors expense.
21. Other policies and restrictions Please consult the George R. Brown Convention Center website for a full list of exhibitor rules and regulations, www.houstonconventionctr.com Upon request, NCSS can provide this information.