Welcome to participants in the NCSS C3 Literacy Collaborative grant, and all others who share an interest in putting the College, Career, and Civic Life (C3) Framework for Social Studies State Standards into practice while simultaneously aligning curriculum and assessments with new state literacy standards such as the Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts. A webinar introduction to the C3 Framework is embedded below.
Each individual "Blog" post in the C3LC space on the Exchange contains an online learning module that we are calling Investigations. These modules are intended for use by collaborative teams. Each Investigation contains:
- a set of "Investigate" engagements for learning about and discussing effective implementation of the C3 Framework,
- "Create" activities for putting the new learning into practice, and
- the "Connect" section for thinking about next steps.
The Investigation should take your team 3-5 hours to complete, but there are often additional options that you can choose to engage in if you want to dive deeper into that topic.
Teams engaged with the grant will be posting discussions and artifacts produced as part of (or in addition to) their engagement with the Investigations in their own group spaces. View a list of participating teams on the C3LC homepage Participating teams are encouraged to follow the work of other teams who are working on similar topics (as described on each team's homepage).
For starters, view this Overview of the C3 Framework. Then follow the links below to access the C3LC Investigations. As new Investigations are completed, you will receive an email notification indicating that this Introduction blog has been updated.
- What are the Instructional Shifts of the C3 Framework for Social Studies Teachers?
- Dimension 1: Developing Questions and Planning Inquiries
- Dimension 2: Applying Disciplinary Concepts and Tools
- Dimension 3: Evaluating Sources and Using Evidence
- Dimension 4: Communicating Conclusions and Taking Informed Action
- Connecting SS and ELA Shifts in the Elementary Classroom
- Meeting the Common Core State Standards for ELA Part One: How does the C3 Framework Align to the Common Core
- Meeting the Common Core State Standards for ELA Part Two: Reading Informational Text
- Meeting the Common Core State Standards for ELA: Part Three: Argumentative Writing
- Meeting the Common Core State Standards for ELA: Part Four: Speaking and Listening for English Learners and Native Speakers (webinar archived, Investigation coming soon)
- Designing Authentic Assessment for Classroom Use
- Develop Your Own C3 Lessons!
- Lead the Way! Tips and Tools to Introduce, Plan, and Implement the C3 Framework at your School Site/District
- What Every School Administrator Should Know about the C3 Framework
- Coaching the Coaches Part 1 (Collaborative Learning)
- Coaching the Coaches Part 2 (C3 Framework Rubric)
- Using the C3 Framework to Inform State Policies and Practices
- What Every Methods Teacher Should Know about the C3 Framework