Apply to serve on the review committee for the NCSS Notable Social Studies Tradebooks for Young People.
NCSS is seeking members to serve on the NCSS-Children's Book Council Notable Social Studies Trade Books for Young People selection committee. The committee consists of twelve reviewers who are responsible for reviewing, evaluating, and selecting children's trade books for the annual bibliography "Notable Social Studies Trade Books for Young People." The "Notables" can contain 100-200 titles selected from as many as 800 books submitted by publishers each year. The list is published in the May/June issue of Social Education, and is also distributed separately by NCSS to members, and by the Children's Book Council.
- be a teacher, or social studies/literature specialist, librarian/media specialist,in any educational setting--kindergarten through university level
- be a current member of NCSS
- be available to serve for a three-year term
- be able to read 250-275 books between July and December (committee members may keep the books they receive!)
- be available to attend a 1-2 day selection meeting in January in New York City, at the committee member's expense.
- write one-twelfth of the annotations of the selected titles each year.
Applications are due June 3, 2019, and appointments will be made mid-June. Selected applicants will receive books for the the 2020 notables list starting in July.