- In the summer, the staffer dress code may sometimes be a bit more casual. However, for visitors, business attire is best.
- Plan to arrive 10 minutes before your meeting.
- Plan to deliver your message during the first 10 minutes of your 15-minute meeting - right after brief small talk and building rapport.
- Your meeting may take place standing up in the hallway, on the run to a vote, or may be cancelled with no warning.
- It is not uncommon for members have to deal with sudden and dramatic shifts in their schedules on a daily basis. Unfortunately, this can affect their planned meetings with you.
Building rapport is important!
- Utilizing your knowledge about the legislator’s personal background, accomplishments, etc. seek to establish points of connection – personal, professional, etc.
- This is a great opportunity to meet interesting people committed to issues in which you are interested.