3.1 Board of Directors Responsibilities for Staff
3.1.1 NCSS is committed to affirmative action in all aspects of the organization. Membership and leadership must be representative of the diverse racial and multicultural social fabric of the country itself, and NCSS assumes a continuing responsibility to provide for equitable male and female representation at all decision-making levels within the organization.
3.2 Personnel Committee Responsibilities for Staff
3.2.1 The Personnel Committee provides counsel to the executive director regarding staff and salary recommendations.
3.2.2 The Personnel Committee communicates with the Executive Committee and the NCSS Board of Directors on personnel matters of special interest. (See also Board Standing Committees: Personnel Committee, Section 4.55)
3.3 Executive Director
3.3.1 Constitutional Responsibilities.
There shall be an executive director who shall be responsible for implementing the purpose of the organization as stated in the NCSS Constitution (Article I, Section 2) and carrying out policies formulated by the board of directors, and, as treasurer, shall be the financial agent of the National Council for the Social Studies. The Executive Director serves as Secretary of the corporation. The executive director shall make annual written reports to the board of directors. The executive director's salary, tenure, and specific responsibilities shall be determined by the board.
3.3.2 Executive Director Job Description
220.127.116.11 The executive director is the chief executive staff person of the organization. Among the responsibilities of the executive director are the following:
- provide leadership and policy guidance for the organization;
- manage and direct all operations, programs, and activities of the organization;
- implement the policy decisions and directives of the board of directors;
- uphold and adhere to the policies and bylaws of the organization;
- report regularly to the board of directors and otherwise ensure that the board is fully informed of all organization activities;
- advise the board of directors in a timely fashion of any developments that may affect the organization's well-being;
- monitor all financial and accounting activities of the organization;
- prepare annual budgets with the assistance of the director of finance;
- hire, supervise and terminate office staff;
- maintain organization records, files, documents, and archives;
- enter into contracts on behalf of the organization;
- regularly inform the membership of large organization activities;
- represent the organization to other organizations, the media, and the public;
- maintain confidentiality of sensitive information; and
- undertake all other organizational tasks assigned by the board of directors;
- the executive director shall also serve as the executive director of the House Of Delegates
- the executive director is an ex officio member of the Executive Committee, Publications Committee, Program Planning Committee, and the Defense Fund.
3.3.3 Executive Director Evaluation
An evaluation of the executive director will be conducted every year. The personnel committee will survey the board of directors and staff every year. During the second year of the executive director's two-year contract, the personnel committee will also survey other council leaders as agreed upon by the personnel committee and the executive director.
18.104.22.168 The personnel committee will meet with the executive director prior to the May board of directors meeting to share the results of the performance evaluation and establish performance goals for the upcoming year.
22.214.171.124 A summary report of the performance evaluation and performance goals will be presented to the board in an executive session at the May board of directors meeting.
3.4 Other Headquarters Staff
3.4.1 Union Staff
126.96.36.199 The NCSS executive director and personnel committee will represent the NCSS Board of Directors in negotiating the contract provisions for those NCSS staff who belong to the Communications Workers of America. The contract must be approved by the CWA members and the NCSS Board of Directors.
188.8.131.52 An appropriate process will be utilized in negotiating the CWA contract that protects the interests of NCSS and the interests of the NCSS staff.
3.42 Non-Union/Management Staff
184.108.40.206 NCSS Staff who are not covered by the CWA contract have individual job descriptions, salaries and fringe benefits. The terms and conditions of employment for these employees are reflected in the NCSS Personnel Policy Handbook.
220.127.116.11 A process which protects the interests of NCSS and the interests of NCSS employees will be utilized in determining which changes in the exempt employee personnel policies will be recommended to the board.
18.104.22.168 A current copy of the exempt employee personnel policies will be placed in the appendix of the NCSS Policy Manual.
3.5 Staff Honorarium Policy
3.5.1 NCSS Related Consulting
Staff members who represent NCSS and are paid an honorarium will donate the honorarium to the FASSE Fund if company time is used to do the work required to earn the honorarium. If the staff member uses vacation time for all work related to the honorarium, he/she may keep the honorarium.
3.5.2 Non-NCSS Related Consulting
An officer, board member, or staff member who is asked to do professional consulting not related to NCSS would retain any honorarium. In this case, staff members must do all related work on their personal time.
3.6 Guidelines for Service on Advisory Committees or Boards of Non-NCSS Projects or Organizations
3.6.1 If the name of NCSS is to appear on letterhead or to be used in any other fashion so as to imply NCSS endorsement, then prior approval of the project's content or the organization's statement of purpose or other relevant information must be reviewed and approved by the executive committee and subsequently reported to the board of directors.
3.6.2 The advisory committee or other body on which the NCSS representative is to serve must have active involvement in influencing policy of the project or organization.