Join our team in this highly entrepreneurial position that supports student achievement in social studies education, from pre-kindergarten through grade 12. The primary responsibility of the Youth Engagement Program Manager is to manage the Rho Kappa National Social Studies Honor Society, which currently has over 500 chapters in 38 U.S. states and 4 countries. In addition, the program manger will disseminate and promote best practices in social studies programs for students.
The program manager also facilitates engagement of NCSS Committees and Special Interest Communities through recruitment, managing the committee appointment process, and providing ongoing support as required. This position also provides support to other NCSS departments, and handles additional duties as assigned.
The Youth Engagement Program Manager reports to the Director of External Relations & Council Communications.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Rho Kappa National Honor Society
- Manage all aspects of the Rho Kappa program, including annual performance goals aligned to the NCSS Strategic Plan and Rho Kappa Advisory Board objectives; budget (projected revenue and expenditures); data collection and reporting; chapter organization, renewal, and dissolution processing; chapter growth and retention strategies; and general record-keeping
- Engage and support Rho Kappa chapters and advisors in sharing their activities through NCSS publications, social media, and online discussion groups to promote best practices that increase recognition of the social studies, and to strengthen linkages between Rho Kappa chapters, NCSS, and its affiliates
- Create special events and programs to support chapters, advisors, and students as enhanced NCSS services in partnership with internal and external groups
- Represent NCSS staff on the Rho Kappa Advisory Board
- Research, report on, and promote student programs in social studies across districts and states nationwide and around the world, by establishing communications with internal and external partners
- Represent NCSS on other student-centered professional groups as assigned
- Bachelors’ degree in communications, marketing, business, education, or related field
- 2-5 years’ experience in a program administrative or management capacity with progressive responsibilities; experience in strategic planning, volunteer management, event planning, and/or association/chapter relations management is desired
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills; strong organizational and analytical skills
- Ability to multi-task, work independently and efficiently under deadlines
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and knowledge of website management/editing; knowledge of online presentation programs is desired
- Knowledge of automated office systems, general office policies and procedures, and filing systems
$40,000-$50,000, plus benefits
To apply, please submit a cover letter, résumé, and contact information for three (3) current professional references to: email@example.com. Include “Application for Youth Engagement Program Manager” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Deadline: All applications must be received by May 31, 2017
National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS) is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce.
Youth Engagement Program Manager-Full Job Description (pdf download)