National Council for the Social Studies has an excellent opportunity for an organized and detail-oriented association customer service professional. As part of the membership team, you will use your initiative and customer service skills to help grow the organization within a positive working environment. Come join our team!
This position provides essential support to the organization’s membership. The primary responsibility of the Customer Service Associate is to support membership processing, data entry, and ongoing responses to customer inquiries. In addition, the Customer Service Associate is often a first point of contact with the organization: answering calls, responding to general e-mail and web inquiries, and handling postal mail distribution to and from appropriate departments. This position also provides support to other NCSS departments, and handles additional duties as assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Process all membership dues and notices, purchase orders, and the Daily Check Log.
- Serve as a primary point of contact for all customer inquiries and requests via phone and general e-mail inbox; forward inquiries and requests to appropriate staff.
- Maintain a list of standard inquiries received and general responses to them.
- Sort and distribute all postal mail received to appropriate staff; collect and prepare all outgoing postal mail.
- File all general correspondence.
- Prepare distribution sheets and monthly invoice materials for the Department of Finance and Administration.
- Track new and renewing members; generate membership contact lists for different departments to use in member and general public outreach.
- Partner with the Membership Program Manager to distribute member resources and other member benefits both in print and electronically.
- Maintain membership brokering files with Affiliated Councils.
- Prepare membership reports as needed for different department and special projects.
- High school graduate with college or business school training; bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, business, or related field preferred.
- 1-2 years’ experience in a general office environment with data entry and customer service experience.
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills; strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to multi-task, work independently and efficiently under deadlines.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite; knowledge of print and electronic communications resources.
- Knowledge of automated office systems, general office policies and procedures, and filing systems.
The salary for this position is $35,000 - $40,000. Additional Salary Information: NCSS has a full range of benefits including health, life, 403(b) pension plan, generous leave and free parking. We are close to Metro and the MARC train Brunswick line. This position is based in Silver Spring, MD.
Applications must be received by July 7, 2017 to receive full consideration. Submissions will be reviewed by our hiring team and candidates who are selected for further screening will be contacted by email within two weeks of this deadline.