This position is a senior staff member on the executive director’s cabinet and is responsible for two key program areas: marketing (print and digital media support, including social media outreach) and membership (processing and brokering; volunteer leadership and relations as well as member engagement). The Director develops annual performance goals aligned to the NCSS strategic plan; monitors program budgets; and engages in data collection and reporting under the direction of the executive director. This position also provides support to other NCSS departments, and handles additional duties as assigned.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities
- Develop and implement a marketing program to increase advocacy, professional learning, and service opportunities among members and external partners.
- Organize marketing strategies and campaigns (including through social media and non-traditional venues) to promote NCSS membership, publications, events, and services.
- Create and manage all marketing materials; prepare distribution lists and statistical reports for materials produced within NCSS and through outside vendors.
- Coordinate a re-branding strategy to prepare for the 100th anniversary of NCSS in 2020.
- Supervise all membership processing and brokering activities, including the production of invoices, reports, distribution lists, and mailing lists for internal and external marketing.
- Plan, implement, and evaluate a membership recruitment and retention strategy.
- Report on membership trends to advise the board of directors, cabinet, and volunteer leadership groups (e.g., Associated Groups, Affiliated Councils) on member development needs, processes, and industry trends.
- Create and evaluate membership development programs through research using member and non-member data, trends, and needs.
- Supervise member processing, recognition programs, external collaboration and engagement, and endorsements.
- Represent NCSS staff on the Awards Committee and Membership Committee.
- Master’s degree and three (3) or more years of related experience. Must possess undergraduate or graduate degree in marketing or related field.
- Demonstrated evidence of project planning, budgeting, and implementation skills.
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills; strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of education or professional membership associations.
- Previous supervisory experience.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, résumé, and contact information for three (3) current professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Application for Director of Marketing and Membership” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Applications must be received by June 16 to receive full consideration. Submissions will be reviewed by our hiring team and candidates who are selected for further screening will be contacted by email within two weeks of this deadline.
This position is based in Silver Spring, MD. Some telecommuting is allowed.
Additional Salary Information: Salary is commensurate with experience. NCSS has a full range of benefits including health, life, 403(b) pension plan, generous leave and free parking. We are close to Metro and the MARC train Brunswick line.