- About NCSS
- Conferences & Professional Learning
- NCSS Annual Conference
- Webinars and Workshops
- Powerful & Authentic Social Studies
- State and Local Conferences
- Get Involved
- Rho Kappa
National Curriculum Standards for Social Studies: A Framework for Teaching, Learning, and Assessment
National Council for the Social Studies first published national curriculum standards in 1994. Since then, the social studies standards have been widely and successfully used as a framework for teachers, schools, districts, states, and other nations as a tool for curriculum alignment and development. However, much has changed in the world and in education since these curriculum standards were published. This 2010 revision aims to provide a framework for teaching, learning, and assessment in social studies that includes a sharper articulation of curriculum objectives, and reflects greater consistency across the different sections of the document. It incorporates current research and suggestions for improvement from many experienced practitioners. These revised standards reflect a desire to continue and build upon the expectations established in the original standards for effective social studies in the grades from pre-K through 12.
This edition, like the 1994 social studies standards, continue to be stuctured around the ten themes of social studies. However, the revised standards offer a sharper focus on:
- Questions for Exploration
- Knowledge: what learners need to understand
- Processes: what learners will be capable of doing
- Products: how learners demonstrate understanding
The revised standards also include:
- Enhancements in the descriptions of the ten themes and the associated learning expectations
- The addition of new descriptions of standards-based class practices to time-tested descriptions that were included in the original edition of the standards
- A stronger focus on student products and their assessment
- An updated list of essential social studies skills and strategies, including literacy strategies
The Revised National Curriculum Standards for Social Studies
The revised standards, National Curriculum Standards for Social Studies: A Framework for Teaching, Learning, and Assessment, were developed by a Task Force of the National Council for the Social Studies, and approved by the NCSS Board of Directors in March 2010.
|Susan A. Adler, Chair
Anand R. Marri
Mary A. McFarland
Mary Ellen Sorensen
Table of Contents
The remainder of this publication is not available online. See the sidebar at the right of this page for information on how to order the standards.
3. Purposes, Questions for Exploration, Knowledge, Process, and Products.
4. Learning Expectations: Early Grades
5. Learning Expectations: Middle Grades
6. Learning Expectations: High School
Appendix 1: Essential Social Studies Skills and Strategies
Appendix 2: Democratic Beliefs and Values
Library of Congress Catalog Card Number: 2010934360
Copyright © 2010 National Council for the Social Studies
8555 Sixteenth Street
Silver Spring, Maryland 20910
All rights reserved.