- About NCSS
- Take Action
- Conferences & Professional Learning
- Current Publications
- Ordering a Publication
- Submit an Article
- Publications Archive
- Faculty Resources
- Member-Only Resources
- NCSS Books and Bulletins
- Get Involved
- NCSS Associated Groups
- NCSS Special Interest Communities
- NCSS Committees
- NCSS Connected
- NCSS Board Nominations
- Rho Kappa
Use of Copyrighted Material
Classroom, One-Time Use
- Teachers and professors do not need to pay to photocopy materials for small-scale, educational, non-profit purposes. Examples: classroom handouts to public school students; small-group handouts for teachers at a conference seminar or professional development workday; one copy of an article for a colleague.
There is a charge for material used in course packets sold in college bookstores or sold by the educator. Professors who want to copy materials for course packets should contact the Copyright Clearance Center (CCC), Academic Permissions Service, 222 Rosewood Drive, Danvers, MA 01923; 978-750-8400 (phone) or 978-750-4470 (fax).
All text at the Curriculum Standards webpages (all links through www.socialstudies.org/standards/) may be used and published freely. (A fee is required for excerpting from the book National Curriculum Standards for Social Studies: A Framework for Teaching, Learning, and Assessment beyond what is available online. Please contact NCSS Publications Department as listed below.)
NCSS Position Statements may be copied and republished at no charge.
- Authors of articles published with NCSS retain the right to republish material from their articles in another publication. Authors do not need to receive NCSS permission in writing to do so.
- NCSS has joined the SERU Registry -- the Shared Electronic Resource Understanding of the National Information Standards Organization. Institutional subscribers (and their patrons) get access to NCSS journal collections fast, because there is no license to negotiate (and no passwords for patrons to enter). SERU outlines best practices that users and publishers agree to follow.
Other Uses of NCSS Materials
- These are general policies. To request clarification of the above, or to submit queries about all other uses of NCSS materials, please contact the Publications Department as listed below.
National Council for the Social Studies
8555 Sixteenth Street, Suite 500
Silver Spring, MD 20910 USA