Sponsored by Herff Jones | Nystrom
The NCSS Grant for the Enhancement of Geographic Literacy was created to promote geography education in the schools; to enhance the geographic literacy of students at the classroom, district, or statewide level; and to encourage the integration of geography into the social studies curriculum/classroom. Award winners receive $2,500, a commemorative award, and present a session on their work at the NCSS Annual Conference
Applications are judged on the following:
- Sound rationale and appropriate methods for incorporating the study of geography into the social studies curricula.
- Specific plans for enhancing geographic literacy.
- Feasibility of program implementation.
- Number of teachers and students served.
- Potential for program continuation or its effects after initial implementation.
- Incorporation of the National Geography Standards as identified in Geography for Life, the “Fundamental Themes in Geography”, and appropriate sections of Expectations of Excellence: Curriculum Standards for Social Studies.
- Programs, not individuals, individual lessons or units, which will enhance the geographic literacy of students at the classroom, district, or statewide levels.
- Recipients may be individuals or groups in school districts, public institutions, or universities.
- Proposals from individuals having already received this grant may be considered after three-years from the last time they received this grant.