We were all thrilled when the Every Student Succeeds Act created multiple new competitive grants to support high quality instruction in civics, economics, geography and history. And we were disappointed that when the President’s budget request came out on February 9th, it did not include requests for some of the new social studies grants. Now, we need to have Congress provide funding for those grants – and we need your help!
Representatives Ross (R-FL) and Graham (D-FL) have circulated a “dear colleague” letter to all Members of the House of Representatives, inviting them to sign a letter to Chairman Cole and Ranking Member DeLauro asking for funds for the competitive grants. We need YOU to call or email the legislative assistant who handles education appropriations and ask that the Representative support funding for high quality education by signing on to the Ross-Graham Dear Colleague letter.
(NOTE: We expect a Senate sign-on letter soon, but it hasn’t been sent around yet. We will alert you when it is time to call or email your United States Senators.)
If you do not know who your Representative is, go to www.house.gov and enter your zip code in the box for the name of the Congressperson who represents you.
If you do not know who the education appropriations legislative assistant is, call 202-225-3121 and ask to be connected to your Representative’s office. Ask the receptionist for the name of the staffer who handles education funding. Then ask to leave a voice mail, or ask for the email address of that staffer.
Message for staff:
- My name is __________ and I live in _______________ in your district.
- I am (calling/writing) because I am concerned about the quality of instruction in (civics, economics, geography or history) in our schools.
- Our local schools need help to offer high quality instruction in these subjects, which are vital to our representative democracy.
- Please urge the Representative to sign on to the Dear Colleague letter circulated by Representatives Ross and Graham in support of funding to support high quality instruction in civics, economics, geography and history.
- If you have any questions about why this is needed in our schools, please contact me at (email address or phone number).