Gold and Silver Star Councils
2013 Gold and Silver Star Councils
Gold Star Councils
- Association of Teachers of Social Studies/United Federation of Teachers (NYC)
- Georgia Council for the Social Studies
- Ohio Council for the Social Studies
- Oklahoma Council for the Social Studies
- Oregon Council for the Social Studies
- Tennessee Council for the Social Studies
- Texas Council for the Social Studies
Silver Star Councils
- Colorado Council for the Social Studies
- Florida Council for the Social Studies
- New Hampshire Council for the Social Studies
- Wisconsin Council for the Social Studies
Criteria for Gold and Silver Star Councils
- Have democratic procedures for the election of officers.
- Have demonstrated professional activity, such as workshops, conferences, and generally, programs that promote the social studies within their region.
- Have actively participated in NCSS programs, such as brokering, submitting nominations for NCSS awards, attendance at the Summer Leadership Institute and legislative networking .
- Have actively participated in social studies legislative advocacy efforts at state and/or at Federal level by: responding to NCSS legislative advocacy calls, disseminating calls to council members, building relationships with legislators, having an active legislative liaison, and developing a legislative advocacy plan.
- Have contributed to NCSS fundraising efforts, such as the First Timer Scholarship Fund for the NCSS Annual Conference, the Fund for the Advancement of Social Studies Education, or the Christa McAuliffe "Reach for the Stars" Award Fund
- Have 100% NCSS membership of council officers.
- Have a specific plan for increasing NCSS membership in their state and underrepresented groups in their council.
- Have shown an increase in the number of joint members.
- Submit affiliation materials by deadline.
Affiliated councils of National Council for the Social Studies that have met eight of the nine criteria will be recognized as Gold Star Councils. Councils meeting seven of the nine listed criteria will be recognized as Silver Star Councils. The due date for applications in 2013 is July 26. Guidelines for meeting the criteria are provided within the attached application and requirements below. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Recipients of gold and silver star awards will be announced in The Social Studies Professional. Also, councils will receive special recognition at the House of Delegates meeting each year.
|Gold and Silver Star Application 2014.doc||92.5 KB|
|Gold and Silver Star Requirements 2014.doc||50 KB|