- About NCSS
- Take Action
- Conferences & Professional Learning
- Current Publications
- Ordering a Publication
- Submit an Article
- Publications Archive
- Faculty Resources
- Member-Only Resources
- NCSS Books and Bulletins
- Get Involved
- NCSS Associated Groups
- NCSS Special Interest Communities
- NCSS Committees
- NCSS Connected
- NCSS Board Nominations
- Rho Kappa
Larry Metcalf Exemplary Dissertation Award
- National Council for the Social Studies
- NCSS Research Community
- Commemorative Gift
- Annual Conference session for research presentation
The Larry Metcalf Exemplary Dissertation Award recognizes outstanding research completed in pursuit of the doctoral degree.
- Date defended and research completed in pursuit of the doctoral degree between March 2010 and March 2011;
- Significant contribution to research in social education.
- Evident connection to social education.
- Outstanding in the areas of problem statement, analysis of related literature, methods and procedures, analysis of data, and discussion of results.
- No self nominations:
- Nomination (See Attachment Below) ;
- Letter of nomination/rationale for nomination
- Vita or professional resume (prepared by the nominee);
- An Summary of ten to fifteen one-sided double-spaced pages that includes:
(a) the research problem (including how the research fits into research in the field);
(b) analysis of related literature
(c) description and rationale for the research design and procedure;
(d) analysis of data;
(e) findings of the study (including a brief discussion of the significance of the research for social studies); and
(f) references/citations should be included, but do not count toward the ten to fifteen pages.
- Publicity Outreach Please provide the name, contact name, title, and e-mail for:
• Major local/community newspaper (up to 2)
• District Superintendent
• Direct supervisor
- Information Release Statement (on cover page)
- Submit all nomination materials to email@example.com (Submit all required documents by 11:59 p.m. EST on the deadline date of the award in order to receive consideration)
- Nomination materials must be in a single PDF (scanned) document at 400dpi
- Include subject headers for each Nomination Requirement
- No mail in copies will be allowed
All Subcommittee Selection Decisions Are Final!
Submission Deadline: by April 1, 2011 at 11:59p.m. EST
For more information on NCSS Awards and Grants, contact Prema Cordeiro, Program Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-588-1800, ext. 106.
Larry Metcalf Exemplary Dissertation Award Subcommittee