Exemplary Research in Social Studies Award
It is the mission of National Council for the Social Studies to engage and support educators in strengthening and advocating social studies, where social studies is defined as the integrated study of the social sciences and humanities to promote civic competence. In support of this mission, NCSS and the Research Community sponsor this annual research award designed to recognize an exemplary single-study research conception, model, design, procedure and analysis in social studies and social education.
For the purpose of this award, social education includes work in the individual social sciences; women's studies and gender studies; multicultural, citizenship, global, economic, and geographic education; decision making; reflective inquiry; moral education; critical theory; teacher education; teacher thinking; and teaching-learning phenomena. In addition, research is broadly defined to include experimental, qualitative, historical, and philosophical work.
National Council for the Social Studies
NCSS Research Community
- Commemorative gift
- Annual Conference session for research presentation
The Exemplary Research in Social Studies Award acknowledges, and encourages scholarly inquiry in significant issues and possibilities for social studies education.
- Published research study (articles, chapters, monographs, or books) bearing April 2010 through March 2011 publication date;
- Must be empirical, theoretical, or philosophical in nature;
- Must have social education as its central focus;
- Employs rigorous research standards;
- Outstanding in the areas of research conception, model, design, procedure, and analysis;
- Advances conception of social education and knowledge of teaching and learning in the domain; and
- Attends to social, political, and ethical concerns.
- No self nominations;
- Cover page (See Attachment Below) ;
- Letter of nomination supporting, rationalizing the nomination;
- Vitae or professional resume prepared by nominee;
- Nominated study.
- Publicity Outreach. Please provide the name, contact name, title, and e-mail for:
• Major local/community newspaper (up to 2)
• District Superintendent
• Direct supervisor
- Information Release Statement (on cover page)
- Submit all nomination materials to email@example.com (Submit all required documents by 11:59 p.m. EST on the deadline date of the award in order to receive consideration)
- Nomination materials must be in a single PDF (scanned) document at 400dpi
- Include subject headers for each nomination requirement
- If submitting a book or monograph, mail to NCSS: Exemplary Research Subcommittee, 8555 Sixteenth Street, Suite 500, Silver Spring, MD 20910. The rest of the application will still need to be submitted electronically.
Nomination materials that are incomplete or that do not meet the established criteria will not be considered.
ALL SUBCOMMITTEE AWARD SELECTION DECISIONS ARE FINAL!
For more information on NCSS Awards and Grants, contact Prema Cordeiro, Program Manager firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-588-1800, ext. 106
Deadline: by May 1, 2011 at 11:59p.m. EST
Exemplary Research in Social Studies Award Subcommittee
|2011 Exemplary Research.doc||93 KB|