- About NCSS
- Conferences & Professional Learning
- NCSS Annual Conference
- Webinars and Workshops
- Live Learning Center
- Powerful & Authentic Social Studies
- State and Local Conferences
- Current Publications
- Ordering a Publication
- Submit an Article
- Publications Archive
- Faculty Resources
- Member-Only Resources
- NCSS Books and Bulletins
- Get Involved
- Rho Kappa
Outstanding Service Award
- National Council for the Social Studies
- NCSS Board of Directors
- Commemorative gift
- Lifetime NCSS membership
Purpose: To recognize members for outstanding long term service to NCSS and local, state, and regional councils.
Criteria: Nominees must have demonstrated exceptional service to the social studies profession, especially in the state, regional or local councils, over a significant period of time, in at least five of the following categories:
- Work on standing, ad hoc or other committees.
- Distinguished performance as local or state council officer.
- Planning, organizing and conducting council's NCSS Annual Conference or other social studies regional, state and local meetings.
- Editing journals, newsletters or other publications.
- Advocating or defending social studies in public arenas outside the immediate social studies community.
- Creating, organizing or conducting social studies activities, fairs or other programs.
- Services should be demonstrated at all levels, local through national.
- Any significant interruption in service should be explained by the nominator (e.g., lengthy illness, out of education, etc.).
- Current NCSS and state, local or regional council membership.
- Those who have been officers or members of the NCSS Board of Directors within the last 10 years are ineligible for the award.
- Cover Page (See Attachment Below)
- Letter of nomination. Typewritten statement of 750 words or less detailing how the nominee meets the award criteria.
- Curriculum vitae or professional resume that includes a listing with dates of the nominees offices, committee posts or other professional and council leadership roles.
- Supporting documents, newspaper articles, pertinent letters, or other materials (not to exceed 10 one-sided pages). The inclusion of more support documents or a longer statement may jeopardize the nominees eligibility.
- Publicity Outreach. Please provide the name, contact name, title, and e-mail for:
• Major local/community newspaper (up to 2)
• District Superintendent
• Direct supervisor
- Information Release Statement (on cover page)
- Submit all nomination materials to firstname.lastname@example.org (Submit all required documents by 11:59 p.m. EST on the deadline date of the award in order to receive consideration)
- Nomination materials must be in a single PDF (scanned) document at 400dpi
- Include subject headers for each Nomination Requirement
- No mail in copies will be allowed
The committee will consider composition, spelling, grammar, etc. in the evaluation process.
Review the contents of your submission carefully!
Application materials that are incomplete or that do not meet the established award criteria requirements will not be considered. The selection committee reserves the right to remove from consideration any application that fails to meet all submission requirements.
** All Committee Award Selection Decisions Are Final!**
For more information on NCSS Awards and Grants, contact Prema Cordeiro, NCSS Program Manager at email@example.com or 301-588-1800 ext. 106
Deadline: March 21, 2011 at 11:59p.m. EST
Outstanding Service Award Committee